haven update / garden update

Der sker ikke så meget ude i haven i øjeblikket. Eller det vil sige – der sker en masse, men det er naturen der arbejder, og ikke mig.

Men jeg har alligevel haft gang i lidt havearbejde. Før frosten og sneen kom, gravede jeg et lille krydderurtebed i kattegården (eller “fængselsgården” som vi kalder den). Vi har i øvrigt solgt vores gamle hus – det blev overtaget den 15. marts – og de nye ejere er ikke interesserede i haven (føles lidt ærgeligt), så jeg kunne bare tage. Jeg delte de forskellige timian  og tog også noget purløg, og har sat dem i krydderurtebedet. Inden frosten kom, fik jeg også sat lidt hvidløg fra planteskolen.

Frøene jeg såede i februar har spiret fint. Jeg har nu en hel masse små Dahlia – sådan ca 56 styk – som jeg har plantet over i potter. Ærteblomstfrøene (Matucana) fra Lene har spiret lidt ujævnt: Den første kom inden for en uge, to andre er kommet senere, og de sidste har slet ikke spiret. Dahlia og ærteblomsterne har stået i fyrrummet (hvor der er mellem ca 6 og 20 grader), der er ikke så varmt som i huset, så mit håb er at de ikke bliver så ranglede som de ville blive indenfor.

matucana 

Lathyrus odoratus ‘Matucana’

Citrongræsset spirede hurtigt, men fik desværre mug, så ud med dem. Tilgengæld spirede et af thai-chilifrøene, og har det stadig godt. Den står i stuen over varmeapperatet.

I sidste uge (tirsdag d 18. marts) lagde jeg læggekartoflerne til spiring. Udvalget var lidt begrænset, når man helst vil have øko kartofler, så det blev til Hamlet kartofler (jeg har kun de tidlige). Jeg fik også sået tomatfrø fra Tenerife-tomaten og Loofah frø. De spirer allerede meget lystigt!

Jeg har også sat lidt flere ærteblomster til forspiring: “Americana” og “Mammoth”. De er sået i “potter” af toiletruller. Så kan hele rullen bare sættes i jorden når de skal ud.

americana
Lathyrus odoratus ‘Americana’

I øvrigt har jeg også invisteret i en potmaker, som laver små potter af avispapir. Det er også ret smart – ligesom tørvepotter, men man sparer sliddet på tørvemoserne, og penge, selvfølgelig. Jeg har købt min hos Fuglebjerggaard.

mammoth
Lathyrus odoratus ‘ Mammoth’

There is not much work going on in the garden at the moment. Well, nature is working, but not me :-) 

But I have done a little garden work after all: Before all this frost and snow came, I dug a small bed for herbs in the cat pen or “prison yard” as we call it. Oh and by the way, we finally sold over old house and the new owners got the key on March 15. They are not interested in the garden at all (kind of feel a little sad about that) so they told me I could take whatever i wanted. So I took some parts of the different thymes and chives and brought it here to the herb bed. Before the frost closed the soil I also planted some garlic gloves from the nursery there.

The seeds I sowed in February are coming up nicely. I now have 56 small Dahlia plants that I transplanted into bigger pots the other day. Some of the lathyrus (sweet peas) that I got from Lene (Lathyrus odoratus ‘Matucana’) came up pretty fast, two came up a week ago, and the rest doesn’t seem to be coming. The dahlias and the lathyrus are in the boiler room where temperatures are between 6*Celcius (43F) and 20*C (68F). I’m hoping the lower temperatures (lower than inside the house) and the change in temperatures as well will make the seedlings stronger.

The lemon-grass sprouted quite fast – within a few days – but got meldug, so I let it go. One of the thai-chili seed came up and is doing nicely!

Last week (On tuesday the 18th) I took in the potatoes and placed them in light so they can sprout before going into the ground in hopefully 4 weeks time. I didn’t have many variaties to choose from (since I want organic) and I wanted an early kind (there is easy acces to “old” organic potatoes in all the stores, so no need to grow them myself) so I chose ‘Hamlet’ which I haven’t tried before.

I also sowed the tomato seeds I brought home from Tenerife and some Loofah seeds, ad they are already several cm high (I am considering moving them into the boiler room as well, now that they sprouted. 

I sowed some more Lathyrus – this time ‘Americana’ and ‘Mammoth’. I used toilet rolls (the cardboard) as pots, so I can just put the entire pot into the ground with out disturbing the roots.

BTW, I bought myself a potmaker, which is a clever thing you can use to make pots from newspaper. The pots are as good as the peat ones, and I help preserve the peat bogs and save money too. I highly recommend!

One response to “haven update / garden update

  1. Your sweet peas look wonderful. The potmaker sounds like a great idea!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s